With global warming, and climate change taking center stage, businesses across the world are embracing the ‘green trend’ by increasingly adopting eco-friendly practices to cut down on the carbon footprint. The realty sector in Kolkata is no exception. Several apartments in Kolkata have been awarded a gold certification from the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC). Let’s not forget Technopolis— one of the largest green buildings in India, built in Salt Lake, Kolkata in 2006.
What is IGBC?
Indian Green Building Council is designed to address the country’s priorities of energy and environmental principles and to improve the quality of life of its residents. IGBC’s rating program evaluates mandatory requirements and credit points implemented by housing projects. The IGBC rating system uses accepted national standards and appropriate international benchmarks in order to strike a balance between known established practices and emerging concepts.
The IGBC Green Homes rating system addresses green features under the following categories:
- Site Selection and Planning
- Water Conservation
- Energy Efficiency
- Materials & Resources
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Innovation & Design Process
IGBC is created to promote the green building movement in India. The system works in tandem with Central and State government agencies and provides incentives to housing projects giving recognition to IGBC’s Green Rating Systems. IGBC Green Homes are designed primarily for new residential buildings. However, it is also applicable to existing buildings that are designed in accordance with the IGBC rating system.
By implementing the voluntary and prescriptive IGBC Green Homes program, housing projects facilitate effective use of site resources, water conservation, energy efficiency, handling of house-hold waste, and utilize optimum material and design for healthy, comfortable, and environmentally friendly homes. Furthermore, it also ensures a high degree of sustainability with no / meager additional cost to the developer or the occupant. IGBC, therefore, strives to selectively adopt simple measures that also have profound impacts in conserving the environment.
What are the benefits of IGBC?
According to a study reported by the India Green Building Council (IGBC), the operating cost for green buildings is 30 percent less, and the incremental investment is only 5-8 percent greater. Furthermore, residents of a green home profit from both tangible and intangible benefits. One of the most obvious and tangible benefits of owning an IGBC green home is the reduction in energy and water energy costs right from day one. Homebuyers of IGBC certified green apartments in Kolkata can further benefit from the following:
Why invest in IGBC Apartments
- Energy savings: 20 – 30%
- Water savings: 30 – 50%
- Enhanced air quality
- Excellent daylight
- Health & wellbeing of the occupants
- Conservation of scarce natural resources
- Enhance marketability for the project
Kolkata fosters IGBC rating system
The encouraging initiative by the State Government of Kolkata to provide a 10 percent incentive for green buildings has pushed real estate developers in the city to adapt to sustainable norms. Furthermore, all IGBC rated green building projects in the MSME are eligible for financial assistance at concessional rates from the Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI).
As a result, several residential projects in Kolkata are striving to achieve a higher Green Mark. New Town was awarded the ‘Platinum-rated Green City Certificate’ in August 2020 by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC), a prestigious honor conferred previously only to four other cities— Chennai, Amravati, Rajkot, and Dholera.
The trend is noticed even among mid-sized real estate developers that are offering green initiatives in the affordable housing segment, such as garbage disposal, rainwater harvesting, waste management, sewage treatment, solar light fixtures, among others. Sustainable homes are therefore not only limited to luxury apartments in Kolkata.
With other big projects targeting the Green Building Certification such as Kolkata International Airport, Unitech’s Info Centre, Kolkata International Convention Centre, it’s safe to say, the realty estate businesses of Kolkata have joined the green brigade.
The Top 7 IGBC Certified Apartments in Kolkata
If you are a stickler to green housing, you should consider buying apartments in Kolkata with PS Group. Awarded with the Green Champion Award by IGBC in 2020— PS Group is one of the premier real estate companies for luxury apartments in Kolkata. Housing projects by PS Group offer an array of sustainable, green features for its homebuyers— ranging from developed water bodies for rainwater harvesting, wastewater treatment, cycle-friendly infrastructure, solar power, and e-mobility, you will have several options to incorporate green practices. Let’s explore some of the following IGBC certified housing complexes by PS Group that will spoil you for choice—
- Navyom, Flats in New Alipore: Sprawling across 230 cottahs, this IGBC Green Building offers 40,000 sq. ft. of seamless leisure, luxuries and athleisure amenities. Look no further for apartments in Kolkata —PS Navyom is the best choice with its exclusive garden homes, 4 BHK simplex and 5 & 6 BHK luxury duplex homes with 22 ft. tall living area, extra-large balconies, large kitchen, service yard and a separate room for your domestic help. A 4 BHK will cost you Rs. 1.84 Cr onwards; 5 BHK Duplex at Rs. 3.05 Cr onwards and 6BHK Duplex from Rs. 4.06 Cr onwards.
- Vyom, Flats for sale in New Alipore: This IGBC compliant Green Building is ensconced in a luscious green spread of 9-acre property. Vyom offers several ready to move in 3 BHK, 4 BHK flats, and duplexes, making it the perfect choice for 4 BHK premium apartments in Kolkata. A 3 BHK apartment at Vyom starts at Rs. 1.43 Cr, with the carpet area ranging from 1283-1391 square feet. A 4 BHK apartment with space between 1700-1854 sqft. starts at 1.9 Cr, making PS Vyom the best pick of the bunch for most luxurious apartments in Kolkata in New Alipore.
- One10, Flats in New Town: Awarded a gold certificate by IGBC, One 10 sprawls over 9 acres and provides luxury 2 and 3 BHK flats. Known as the largest residential development in New Town Action Area I— One10 focuses on the recreational needs of children. It, therefore, boasts of 70% open area and 50% of lush greenery. Furthermore, One10 is a stone’s throw away from the under-construction Metro. A 2 BHK flat at One10 will cost you 66 lakhs onwards while a 3 BHK starts at 73 lakhs
- Panache, Flats in Salt Lake: With a refreshing view of over 1000 acres of wetlands, PS Panache is awarded a gold certificate by the IGBC. A 3 BHK at Panache has been priced Rs. 1 Cr onwards and covers 921-1023 sqft. Panache is located only a short 5-minute drive away from the metro station near Technopolis. The project has 568 contemporary homes, spread across 6 towers. Panache is one of the tallest residential marvels in the neighbourhood, and enjoys wide open greens, manicured walkways, naturally lit surroundings, and a funnel-shaped architecture for ample wind circulation, making it your go-to choice for apartments in Kolkata.
- Aurus, Flats on EM Bypass: Aurus is an ultra-modern award-winning property providing 3 and 4 BHK flats for sale in EM Bypass Kolkata. This property is optimally located between ITC Sonar and JW Marriott in contemporary Kolkata with amenities to envy. It is the gold standard for refined living with wide-open spaces and state-of-the-art amenities that would find themselves at home in any global city of the world. Awarded a gold certificate by the IGBC, the property frames a view of the wetlands on one side and the Mirania Lake on the other. Aurus features over 300 exquisite 3 BHK, 4BHK, 5BHK flats for sale at EM Bypass cost upwards of 3.07 Cr.
- Anassa, Flats in EM Bypass: Anassa is the epitome of six-star living featuring 5 BHK and 4 BHK flats in EM Bypass. Standing tall between the JW Marriott on one side and the ITC Royal Bengal on the other, Anassa offers amenities and opulence to rival these premier hotels. For a select few who appreciate the finer things in life, Anassa has 93 exclusive homes with majestic master suites with grand terrace balconies that lookout at the vast open wetlands. This property has been awarded a gold certificate by the IGBC, is also amply endowed by carefully landscaped green spaces. Luxurious 5 BHK & 4 BHK flats at Anassa cost over 5Cr.
- Jiva, Flats in Phoolbagan-Beliaghata: Jiva means alive in Bengali. And what can make one feel more alive than being one with nature? This complex has been designed to bring nature into your living space. Besides spacious apartments and state-of-the-art amenities, Jiva is a IGBC recognized property with 6 natural water ponds filled with indigenous fish, water gardens, ghats, floating patios, and sun decks in the premises. No other flat for sale in Beliaghata, Kolkata can lend you the kind of serenity Jiva can. 3 BHK and 4 BHK flats at Jiva start at 1.12Cr.
With a shift in consumers’ housing expectations, ‘Green building’ projects have become a subject of value creation for developers. Home-buyers today are environmentally conscious. They are well-read and are concerned about at least one environmental issue— may it be recycling, composting, product packaging, sustainability, among others. As a result, they are demanding to go green and are making responsible purchases that are in sync with the environmental norms. In order to support consumer’s sustainable needs, businesses are altering their ways and offering consumers exactly what they want. Going green has therefore become a lucrative business option for real-estate developers, after all – what’s good for the planet is also good for business!