One of the largest sectors in the country is the indian real estate industry. The contribution of real estate india to the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) is estimated around 6.5 to 7 percent thus generating millions of jobs. After agriculture, the sector of real estate india is the second largest employer. Industry experts predict that the sector is poised to grow around 20 percent over the next decade. For the past decades, top companies in real estate are trying to match the demand from the industry for office space as well as urban and semi-urban accommodations. India’s construction industry ranks third among the 14 primary sectors in terms of direct, indirect, and induced effects in the economy. Furthermore, experts believe the sector of real estate india is bound to incur profit, especially from non-resident Indian (NRI) investments. Bengaluru is one of the top picks for property investment by NRIs, followed by Ahmedabad, Pune, Chennai, Kolkata, Goa, Delhi, and Dehradun.
A List of Top Companies in Real Estate in India
Let’s take a look at some of the top companies in real estate that have braved the storms of the industry despite all the odds—
- DLF: Delhi Land & Finance (DLF Limited) is a commercial real estate developer in India. Founded by Chaudhary Raghvendra Singh, DLF is based in New Delhi and belongs to top companies in real estate. Spread across 11 cities in India, DLF has grown significantly by leaps and bounds since its inception in 1946. With 74 years of experience in real estate investment and development, DLF has delivered 30.77 million sq m. with 27.96 million sq m in residential development and 132 completed residential projects and over 1 million happy residents.
- Godrej Properties Ltd: Established in 1897, Godrej Properties is ranked as the second most trusted Indian brand. It is one of the top companies in real estate with annual revenue of USD 5 billion. About 23% of the promoter stake in the Godrej Group is owned by philanthropic trusts that work on environmental, educational, and health care issues in India. Spread across 10 cities in India, Godrej Properties has received over 250 awards and recognitions.
- Oberoi Realty: Headquartered in the reverberating city of Mumbai, Oberoi Realty was founded in 1980. The company has delivered 42 projects at strategic locations across the Mumbai skyline with about 11.89 million sq. ft of spaces and another 38 million sq. ft in the making. Based on the latest stock market news, Oberoi Realty is the top pick of brokerages. It is expected to be a key beneficiary from the rebound in residential real estate in FY22 owing to inventories nearing completion and a launch portfolio.
- Housing Development And Infrastructure Ltd. (HDIL): HDIL group has completed more than 100 million sq.ft of construction in all verticals of real estate from residential, commercial and retail projects, to slum rehabilitation to land development. Headquartered in Mumbai, it is a public listed real estate company in India with shares traded on the BSE & NSE Stock Exchanges.
- Indiabulls Real Estate Ltd.: Regarded as one of the top companies in real estate, Indiabulls Real Estate Ltd. has operations spanning over various verticals such as real estate, Pharmaceuticals, Lighting and Infrastructure & Construction Equipment Leasing. Founded by Sameer Gehlaut, Indiabulls Group is one of India’s leading diversified conglomerates. Indiabulls real estate was incorporated in 2006 and has since built landmark projects in Mumbai, Gurugram, Chennai, Madurai, Ahmedabad and Thane. Their footprint is not just limited to India, but it also has marquee projects in the heart of upscale London.
- Brigade Enterprises Ltd.: One of the top leading property developers in South India, Brigade Enterprises Ltd has residential projects of class apartments and villas across several major cities in South India like Bangalore, Chennai, Chikmagalur, Hyderabad, Kochi, Mangalore and Mysore. Headquartered in Bangalore, it has branch offices in several cities in South India and a representative office in Dubai. Apart from residential real estate, Brigade Group has also established a strong hold on the commercial space by building some of the biggest malls in Bangalore City. Established in 1986, Brigade Group boasts a uniquely diverse multi-domain portfolio spanning property development, property management services, hospitality and education making it one of the top companies in real estate in India. Brigade Group has over 250 buildings to its credit that amount to over 70 million sq. ft of developed space across a diverse real estate portfolio.
- Omaxe Ltd: Present across 8 states and 27 cities in India, Omaxe Ltd. has delivered area of about 11.77 million sq m. Founded in 1987, the company has a diverse portfolio that includes Hi-Tech Townships, Integrated Townships, Group Housing, Shopping Malls, Office Spaces, SCOs and Hotel. Furthermore, Oxame has also undertaken several CSR projects in the fields of health, education, community development. The company has a strong hold in Northern India, namely in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan, Delhi, Himachal Pradesh.
- Prestige Estate Projects Ltd.: Founded in 1986, Prestige Group has 247 completed projects to its credit, covering 134 million sft. The company has a major presence in South India especially in the cities of Chennai, Hyderabad, Kochi, Mysore, Mangalore and Goa. As of June 2020, it has 45 ongoing projects covering over 53 million sqft, 56 mn sqft of upcoming projects. Prestige Group has a diverse portfolio and has delivered projects in both commercial and retail segments. For instance, Prestige Group has been credited for introducing some of the most reputed international hotel brands to South India, such as the Hilton Group and Marriott International, among others.
- Sunteck Realty Ltd.: Founded in 2000, the group has 27 projects to its credit, covering about 37.5 million sq.ft. development with 28% in the commercial and rental sector and 72% in residential. The company has a strong presence in Mumbai. Sunteck Realty is especially developing spaces in Goregaon and Airoli, sticking to its repute of catering to the needs of its loyal customers. In Goregaon, Sunteck has acquired 23 acres of land while in Airoli (considered as the new financial hub of Navi Mumbai), Sunteck has already successfully delivered a residential project and launched another recently. Furthermore, the company recently also announced that they had secured a 7 acre land parcel at Borivali (West), Mumbai to develop a luxury residential project.
- Phoenix Mills: The group has real estate assets in Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Pune, Raipur, Agra, Indore, Lucknow, Bareilly, and Ahmedabad. Owned by the Ruia family, the company was first listed on Bombay Stock Exchange in 1959. In 2001, the group introduced the first Hyper Market concept in India, and has ever since carved a niche for itself in real estate india in the commercial segment, be it mega retail malls, entertainment complexes, commercial spaces or hospitality units.
Technology is redefining almost every sector and industry, and Indian real estate is no exception. Furthermore, the COVID-19 pandemic has all the more necessitated digitization and changed the face of conventional business models, top companies in real estate are no exception. To invest in the niche segment of smart homes, for increasing demand and better resale value, real estate India is leveraging top-notch services of IoT and AI. It wouldn’t be entirely incorrect to state that Indian real estate has undergone a transition in the past couple of years and the industry is anticipated to embrace a conducive combination of technology and innovative marketing strategies, thus bringing about a new wave of efficiency. With consumer confidence increasing in the real estate market in India, there is also scope for lucrative investment opportunities.